Recent clients and projects
Univeristy of the Witwatersrand - we have recently trained in-house mediators for Wits and we are working with the institution to establish in-house mediation policies and procedures to encourage the early resolution of conflicts;
We are working actively in the medico-legal sphere to encourage parties at all levels to consider using ADR processes to manage the wide-ranging and expensive claims against the state, health professions and hospitals. Conflict Dynamics director, Marion Shaer, presented at the 2016 Commission for Medical Scheme workshop, see her summary of the session HERE;
- Department of Environmental Affairs, South Africa - Hendrik Kotze worked on a capacity building project for the Department of Environmental Affairs (2010/2015). The project developed and implemented conflict management capacity within the Department, in accordance with chapter 4 of the National Environmental Management Act. The project included the following:
- Review of international best practice
- Design of conflict management model and policy
- Design of case management & business processes, standard documents, job and role definition, management information requirements for managing environmental mediation processes
- Capacity building training of staff, and mentoring of senior managers
- Establishment of a national mediation panel, and providing capacity training to panel members.
- Management of a mediation and arbitration processes on behalf of the South Africa Department of Environmental Affairs for 18 month period, inter alia facilitating a multi-party agreement to refer the dispute over the Vredefort Dome World Heritage site to mediation, and assisted in the management of this process over a two-year period.
- Stakeholder Facilitation – Shale gas SEA Process - Hendrik Kotze is currently appointed by the CSIR to manage the stakeholder facilitation for the Shale Gas strategic environment assessment. His appointment includes the development of a comprehensive stakeholder engagement strategy, and the facilitation of specific stakeholder engagements. The latter includes public meetings and registered stakeholder meetings.
- Tribunal of the Southern African Development Community [“SADC”] - Hendrik Kotze was senior consultant in a European Union contract for developing capacity of the SADC Tribunal (2010/2011), including the delivery of the following:
- Full review and recordal of the SADC Tribunal court management process
- Staff capacity building training on Court Management
- Scoping the need for IT Support tools & Web development
- Research paper into the regional awareness of the SADC Tribunal
- Research & Proposal on the use of mediation in the SADC Region
- African Commercial Dispute Settlement Centre, Cape Town - Hendrik Kotze was Chief Consultant on a project for the development and operationalization of an International Dispute Resolution Centre under the auspices of the Cape Town Chamber of Commerce. The Centre was formally launched on 15 March 2012, when a fully functional ADR Centre was delivered to the client. I am further retained to do on-going development and to conduct regular performance measurements and process reviews.
- African Chambers of Commerce ADR Project - Hendrik Kotze is currently project leader on a project to develop dispute resolution capacity in 10 African Countries, using Chambers of Commerce as the hub for such development. The Project is funded by SIDA, through Chambers Trade Sweden. The Project has included the following:
- A consultative process with stakeholders in all the participant countries to determine their ADR needs
- Facilitating a collaborative approach to addressing these needs
- Designing and costing a full development program aimed at developing the requisite ADR capacity in conjunction with the participating countries.
- Motor Vehicle Accident Fund of Namibia (Government entity established by Statute) - during the restructuring of the Motor Vehicle Accident Fund (2004 to 2007) Hendrik Kotze was the main process consultant, and delivered the following to the client:
- A new claim management process. This included defining and recordal of all business policies, process rules and standard documentation
- Giving input on the operational structure for the Fund, advised on risk management strategy, and the organisation’s Business Plan
- Expert consultant on the Project for the development of a new Case Management System for the Fund
- Equillore Dispute Management - Hendrik Kotze has worked as Consultant to develop a number of unique dispute management processes. These include:
- A structured negotiation and arbitration process for resolving Road Accident Fund claims;
- An inter-industry summary arbitration process for resolving claims between short-term insurance companies
- A mediation process for resolving personal accident claims against a parastatal institution.
- National Water Research Council: Research Project into Water Dispute Resolution - Hendrik Kotze was the Chief Consultant on a research project to propose and develop alternative dispute resolution mechanisms for water disputes in South Africa. The project (36 months in duration) included problem analysis, research and development. The project delivered a research paper that sets out a viable model for ADR in water disputes in South Africa.
Contact us for a free telephonic discussion about your needs and/or to obtain a written proposal for our consultation services.